St Mary the Virgin Church, Horsell
Woking, Surrey GU21 4QQ United Kingdom 01483 772134 https://www.stmarys-horsell.org.uk/
St. Mary’s Church is a very friendly, welcoming church at the heart of the village of Horsell.
The first stone chapel on this site was probably built about the middle of the 12th century. Parts of the present west wall of the nave may be from this building. Rebuilding took place early in the 14th century, from which date parts of the nave roof survive. By the end of the century the church consisted of nave, chancel and west tower, the south aisle being added in the 15th century, with an unusual roof construction. This aisle is built mainly of carstone, the tower of flint, clunch and heathstone. Towards the end of the 18th century the chancel was rebuilt in brick.
Extensive restoration took place in the 19th century, the “handsome Gothic screen” being removed in 1840, the brick chancel replaced and the nave and south aisle extended eastwards in 1890. In 1909 the north aisle and vestries were added, the Holy Trinity Chapel in 1910 and the baptistery in 1921. All these later extensions are built in Bargate stone.
The church is entered from the tower through the Medieval doors, still in place. They are of oak and retain original hinges, latches and ironwork.
In the clergy vestry are a number of photographs and sketches. One dated 1814 depicts the font removed in 1829, which was possibly of late Norman date.
- There were no results found.